November 29, 2011

Puerto Galera: Unique Island Culture, World Class Tourist Destination



WELCOME TO PUERTO GALERA, a huge landmark greeted all travellers approaching Hasmin section of the provincial road town-bound. Routinely checking a good grip to the accelerator as I decided to stop over in one of the highest peak of the road which is majestically carved at the eastside of the mountain. The weather was perfect. And the section gave a refreshing cool view over the expansive Mindoro strait. I parked the motorbike off the road, took a deep breathe of fresh air, and gave my eyes something to feast.
 
I am excited to publish the first article for this blog. But what brought so much excitement on my part is that my first blog entry is about Puerto Galera which rouses interests among tourists and travel writers for its provokingly rich culture and exquisite beaches. 

My travel began April this year. I decided to pick up the motorbike and rev up for a solo ride going to Puerto Galera. This kind of unplanned travel I seldom do when I visit my hometown in Oriental Mindoro.


Learning the Place's History. Puerto Galera is the northernmost town in Oriental Mindoro. Literally means 'Port of Galleons', Puerto Galera had significant role in international trade during the Spanish Era. According to historians, the Spaniards discovered the costal town in early 16th century. Traders frequented the place for safety during typhoons and heavy storms. Its cove and sheltered harbor have become safety havens for ships since then.

Recent archeological discoveries showed that early residents of the island had established trading linkages with the Chinese from mainland in as early as 1200 A.D. long before the Spaniards came. These artifacts found in Puerto Galera are now housed in the Excavation Museum.




Accessibility. The town is accessible enroute the provincial road (by land) and via motor banca from Batangas port to the point of destination (White Beach, Sabang, Coco Beach, Tamaraw Beach). Although a road network connects Puerto Galera to another town of Occidental Mindoro, popular traveller’s ingresses are these two mentioned routes.

The City of Calapan is a bustling economic center with some unique places of attraction.

The Travel Plan. Since I would be coming from my home town, my route would cover south to north, and this was approximately 2.5 hours of travel time. This was way exciting compare to the previous route (Batangas-Puerto Galera). Why? When  I traveled enroute Batangas-Puerto Galera by sea, I didn't get to see rural scenes. Second, Tamaraw Falls would be a good pit stop. And third reason, the good thing of traveling inland was I get to choose when and where I stop at my convenience.


After I passed by the town of San Teodoro and a little closer to the town of Puerto Galera came the exciting part of driving. I got shaky twisting the grip of the accelerator while on the zigzag portions of the road. 

A portion of about 200 meters was still rough road (as of April). However four-wheel vehicles and even six-wheelers could safely access the road. Drivers should avoid traveling during heavy rains for safety reason.

Here were the rewards I have received taking the inland route: nature's exquisite view over the entire section of the Mindoro straight— protruding section of Lalaguna in Puerto Galera, the Verde Island, the great mass of Batangas province, and islets scattered in the expanse of blue water. 

Hasmin section provides a great seascape of Mindoro Straight

Another picturesque site while on road travel was the Tamaraw falls. There I stayed for 30 minutes enjoying the music of cascading water from the mountain and taking photographs.







Tamaraw Falls 360


Probably most of travellers like you are familiar with Batangas-Puerto Galera route. I tried this once when I was coming from Manila. For travel instruction, to get to Puerto Galera, from Manila one will take a two-hour bus ride bound to Batangas port. And from Batangas port, he will ready his Php 250 pesos as payment to the banca operator. As to choice of resort destinations, many first-class hotels and resorts including diving centers can be found in White Beach, Coco Beach, and Sabang. Some choose Tamaraw Beach and Aninuan.

(C) Ian Fiedalan. Batangas Bay Sunset.

But I say, vacation is best enjoyed if you will take a detour to Calapan city. Your travel route to Mindoro is via the Roll-on-roll off ship from Batangas to Calapan city. It is economical to pay 1,500 for a car-lift. Then, travel time from Calapan going north west to Puerto Galera is approximately 1 hour.



For cheap buys, you may consider shopping souvenirs at Calapan public market. Great food are also offered in food houses like L&V, Hungry Kings, and few chinese restaurants along Rizal street.

Galera Itinerary: In Puerto Galera, I visited the Tamaraw Falls, Sabang, White Beach, Town Proper and the Museum. 

I enjoyed the morning sun in White Beach, ate in cheap food stall near the pier, and read facts and history about Chinese trading in Excavation Museum. 


PHOTOS


Map of Puerto Galera and Marked Points of My Visit.


White Beach
a
Excavation Museum houses numerous archeological discoveries
 
Porcelain and Chinese wares are displayed in the Excavation Museum.
 
A hotel in downtown.
For further information about the place, you may visit Puerto Galera's official website.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget